SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Operation and use of equipment and power tools to perform a range of general maintenance and
special projects as required by the City.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of a specific statement from the
duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical
assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Operates the various equipment and power tools to accomplish tasks in the cleaning, maintenance
and service to the buildings and grounds of the City. The maintenance worker performs a wide range
of assignments as requested to provide for quality preservation for the longevity of the City's
• Exercises discretion in the performance of the work and regularly uses independent judgment.
• Conducts minor repairs and maintenance procedures on equipment utilized in grounds keeping.
• Monitors property grounds and right of ways to ensure a pleasant appearance.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Flexibility in working on multiple tasks. Substantive knowledge of general maintenance
projects for numerous and varied repair and service requests.
• Broad base of general knowledge in safety and accident prevention in the use and operation of
equipment and tools.
• Trainable in the use of tools and equipment used and operated by maintenance personnel. Dexterity
and capacity to lift 50 pounds in the performance of the necessary tasks and projects are essential
to the overall performance in this position. Such tools and equipment include: tractors, lawn
mowers and various landscaping tools and equipment, various shop power tools (electric saws, drills
and screwdrivers), and general household type tools (vacuum cleaner, hammer, pliers, staple gun and
• Proficiency in the safe use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment used on the job.
• Dependable and strong work ethic is necessary to service the internal customers and residents
of the City.
• Must be able to work effectively with the Mayor, City Council and professional staff members in
We offer 3 different Medical insurance options, dental, and vision
The City pays for short-term disability, long-term disability, and basic life insurance for employee and qualified spouse and child(ren)
HSA, FSA, and supplemental coverage through Aflac available
The City contributes 8% of eligible compensation into employees' 401(a), and matches 50% of employee contributions up to 6%
11 paid holidays annually, plus 1 floating holiday
Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) leave structure, accrued per pay period
Eligible for benefits 1st of the month after hire date
30 days waiting period for retirement participation
Tuition assistance program
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of considerable weight (up to 50 pounds).
• Ability to communicate orally and to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, taste, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals.
• Performance of essential functions may require exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, explosives, water hazards, disease, pathogenic substances, or rude/irate customers.
• In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable law, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the City.
• Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver's license.
• Must be able to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
• Ability to pass a pre-employment background investigation, to include but not limited to, a physical examination with drug screening and an oral interview.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Employment with the City of Doraville is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Doraville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.